Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Cable Guy: A Case of Bad Manners

Is it me or does it make you wild when people react to you as if you are an idiot?

Even if you are, shouldn't an attempt be made to hide it from you?
It is called Good Manners.

Recently, I chose to go for the all under-one-umbrella-phone, Internet server and cable service. All services co-existing on one scaled-down phone bill. Why deal with three different companies?


Why live happily ever after?

I made my appointment with the cable guy, he was late and relayed endless tales of stupid customers and birdbrain drivers.
We started off badly. The cable guy thought I had a hearing impairment. He spoke alarmingly loud at me rather than to me. I felt like a Ukrainian immigrant with someone over-articulating, wildly gesturing and bellowing. The lug, thinking I might gather some notion of what he is saying, SCREAMED at me.

Unconsciously, I stepped backward in response to his flat, loud and disaffected dissertation on what was to transpire. As for eye contact-not possible. Cornered, I blurted out, "Stop." I can't do this. I can't have you screaming at me. I am right here, next to you. So please, just talk to me."

The magic elixir.
Suddenly, he was all smiles and whistled as he worked, replacing the "stupid" work done by other "stupid" incompetents.
All went well until he was to show me how to work, the not one, but 3 remote controls.

Being challenged in an era where people hopscotch from watching a movie on a computer while listening to an ipod and text messaging simultaneously, makes me feel like a hostage to my comparative technological ineptitude. My suggestion to "take notes" seemed to push the wrong buttons in the cable guy and his, oh so, disapproving self, reappeared.
He gave me a canned demonstration, I still asked questions. His visible impatience and incoming phone calls silenced me. Was I to be seen and not heard?

I would figure it out. I didn't watch that much TV anyway.

We moved on to the phone, the Internet and the steps involved in setting up a new email account. While he raced through how to retrieve phone messages on my computer, I so wanted to experiment with these supposedly simple, but new features, and my desire was met by a stony silence and a glazed look.

Never mind, there must be a booklet.

One imperative, I had to know how to work the various remotes for the VCR. I taped clients, and it was vital to my business. So there he stood wielding the three clickers like a sharp-shooter at the OK Coral showing me with a flick of the wrists how to do so.
Satisfied, he asked to use the rest room and handed me the bill.

Maybe, I could go back to nursing?

Unfortunately, the cable guy had to return due to "technical difficulties'. My college-age daughter was present. He never spoke to me directly, never looked at me and only spoke to her.

I was the customer, the one paying for the service costing over $1600 a year and the one loathe to give him a tip, much less say thanks for his added visit.

The message in this story? Have Good Manners. Such as:

  • Call if you are going to be late.
  • Turn off your cell phone before a meeting or during an actual job.
  • Remember, you create an impression in 7 seconds. Leave your frustrations at the door.
  • Introduce yourself, shake hands and smile.
  • Engage with whomever you speak to- mirror their vocal rhythms.
  • Watch your body language. It sends a powerful message of its own.
  • Make eye contact.
  • Don't make disparaging remarks about anyone.
  • Don't be a bully and show by your behavior that you know more than your client or friend.
  • Take the time to answer all questions even if they seem "stupid." It's your job.
  • Don't leave until a client is completely satisfied.
  • Never ignore someone in the room, particularly, if they are paying the bill.
  • Rudeness is considered bad taste. Imagine what your boss would think?
  • A good sales experience is expected but a bad one becomes a legend.
As my mother would say, "he doesn't know any better." But I do and so should you.

No comments:

Post a Comment