Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Shopping? Bah- humbug


This Christmas I decided not to give gifts. I sound like Scrooge- but the dwindling economy paralyzed my impulse to whip out my credit card and say for heaven's sake's "it's Christmas"and just buy.

I was cutting back. Children and grandchildren don't quite understand such economics or appreciate coal, spiritual bouquets or warm- wishes as consolation prizes. Out I went, a wary and dispirited shopper.

Since J Crew is a store I could count on for its chic and fashionable designs and the necessary cache my daughter appreciates, I grabbed the substantial discount coupon they mailed and made it my first stop. Why not save some money?

After wrangling for a parking spot on Main Street in Westport, I slipped into the store to purchase a sweater- fast and dirty- and then be on my way. The store looked dazzling and felt welcoming and bustled with shoppers. Wow, the sales people were smiling and a lovely woman name Petra introduced herself and started calling me by name. Gee,they like me, they really like me.

Petra asked me what I was looking for and what my daughter did and led me to several sales tables to offer suggestions and took the time to go through mounds of $9.99 T- shirts to find my daughter's size and the oatmeal shade I requested.

Her fashion sense was impeccable and before I could say "sold," I was looking at items that I realized were perfect for me. What a surprise!

My new best friend insisted on unburdening me of the selections, I chose what I wanted, and she placed them at the cash register for me at the check-out register.

I was whisked into an empty dressing room while different tops were chosen to go with my new pants and boots and well ...you don't need all the details.

Was it the punch? Where was that scrimping and scrappy shopper? Out and about munching on yummy Christmas cookies and sipping coffee and wondering if thigh high boots were a little over the top for her. It was beginning "to look a lot like Christmas." And now- the piece de resistance- a nine month pregnant Cynthia gift wrapped!

While my new purchases were placed in actual boxes with bright red ribbons, Cynthia suggested I run up to the men's department, so I wouldn't have to wait. How thoughtful!
Upstairs I found the perfect shirts and sweaters to go with my husband's baby blue eyes.

Finally, with wrapped packages in paper bags, I actually hugged my unflagging wrapper goodbye, waved to my new pal Petra and left thinking what a wonderful life it was.
Once I reached the car, I called my best friend and suggested she get herself down to J Crew and get her 20% coupon off the web ASAP. She did.

So what's the lesson in all this?
As a corporate sales trainer, I thought of this shopping spree often. I ended up buying several items and left perfectly happy. I went in with one mindset and it completely changed based on my shopping experience.

Curious, I went to J Crew's website and their number 1 priority is "We're here to help!" I received first class service and I was satisfied.

In this economy, it's vital to go the extra mile to compete for a sale, yet often the simplest of sales techniques are forgotten. So here's my list of the solid sales techniques that the J Crew Brand and their Brand ambassadors personified.

Tip 1 - Your Brand speaks volumes.
J Crew- simple, elegant designs and soft, sexy fabrics.
How would you define your brand?

Tip 2 - Know your customers and what their needs are.
These are tough economic times - that coupon got me in the door.
What incentives can you offer clients for new or return business?

Tip 3 - Create an emotionally "feel good" experience.
Do you make your clients feel special ?
How can you remain the professional yet make it personal?

Tip 4 - Anticipate your clients needs.
How? Ask questions. Listen. Deliver based on the information given.

Tip 5 - Don't make assumptions about potential clients.
Treat everyone with the identical respect and care.
You will be surprised at who turns out to be your best return clients.

Tip 6 - Make their experience with you informational and professional.
Use your know- how and expertise to help them discover what they want and need. Be the expert. No pressure, please.

Tip 7 - Know how to close a sale.
Ask for business and do not assume it will take care of itself. Set a date. Put it on the calendar.

Tip 8 - Offer something special!
What can you add-on to your services that separates you from your competition and make you the consultant of choice? Be innovative and think of original ways to stand- out.

Tip 9 - Satisfied clients are your best source of referrals.

Tip 10 - Keep in touch.
Once you make a sale, find a way to keep that new client engaged and aware of services you offer that will benefit them.

I have to run. J Crew is having a Final Sale!

3 comments:

  1. It is indeed refreshing to read that some stores are actually prioritizing customer service in this economy...and that shopping can actually be such a pleasurable experience that a customer would rave about it...and even promote a company on her blog...and to hear that the experience added to your purchasing more is certainly the message the store wants to send....and I know you do not have any stock in the company, have not been hired by J Crew or have any relationship with any of their employeees....but I think you better check your husband's eyes...they are hazel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one item on your list of tips that hit me as the most vital of all, is the one about making your client feel special. Oddly, the more specialized the store (and, often, the service, or the doctor), the cooler the treatment of the client....instead of the opposite. I have reached a point at which I no longer STAY in a place, or in an office, or anywhere--unless I feel I'm valued. No one has to go nuts over me--that's not the point-- but, after all, we're all in business. And whose money is being spent? If it's mine, I'd appreciate acknowledgment of the fact that I could spend it elsewhere. The question, Who really needs whom here? is one that anybody in business should ask--and act upon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect almost every adult has had this experience...Not too long ago I arrived at my doctor's office for my yearly physical, and while a whole room worth of patients paraded into the MD's inner sanctum, I waited for over an hour for my name to be called. Finally, with only myself and two other poor souls (who had been waiting longer than I)remained, I deduced that I had more of a wait ahead of me. Because I had another appointment in 30 minutes, I decided I would leave, but not before I asked where I should send my invoice for my time spent waiting for nothing.

    Not only was I looked at like some oddball, but there wasn't even the slightest apology or offer of compensation for wasted wait, travel and time. Maybe people just assume that is what all doctors do because they are so overbooked, but I think most patients don't complain because they are so desperate to get help or too intimidated by all the framed diplomas to say anything.

    Service is about respect....respect is, of course, a two way street..where individuals are considerate of each other's time, money and humanity.

    ReplyDelete